The purpose of the Bioinformatics Core is to provide bioinformatics support for Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center investigators in the design, data collection/archiving, and analysis of high-throughput genomics assays in cancer research projects.
Services provided include:
- Consultation on study design, selection of technology platforms, and formulation of hypotheses
- Specification of appropriate software tools and methods for data analysis
- Database creation (DNA sequence, RNA expression, Proteomics, etc.)
- Protocol development
- Information technology consultation
- Data and experiment analysis
- Assistance in preparation of manuscripts
- Education and training
Assistance is available on all types of projects, ranging from clinical trials to basic science experiments. Early consultation during the design of a study may be especially beneficial. Response times are generally quick.
The bioinformatics core can help:
- Assist you in being able to use your time more efficiently
- Help to derive more from your research
- Provide advice in preparing papers that may be more readily published
- Assist in sorting out technology selection (microarrays, high-throughput sequencing, etc.)
Basic questions often can be answered over the phone or by e-mail. Other projects are best discussed first in person (especially at the design stage).
Straightforward data analysis projects often can be completed entirely by email. Email Drs. Casavant, Braun, and Brown. They will be happy to respond to email inquiries.
Data can be sent as flat files or as Excel spreadsheets. Results and interpretation often can be sent back to you electronically or posted on a secure sftp or https site.